If you have a large yard with a lot of grass, mowing can become a task you don’t have the time or energy for. Even if you have a high-quality mower, pushing it for so long can draw this task out and leave you mowing the grass for days. Are you looking for a better way of doing this? Self propelled lawn mowers are the answer!
These mowers actually push themselves to save you energy, reduce your fatigue, and make it easier than ever to get your grass cut. While you still have to walk behind the mower to control where it goes, these are incredibly easy to use and can make your life so much easier when it comes to lawn care.
If you think this type of mower is the right choice for you, then take a look at the seven best self propelled lawn mowers below. They have great qualities, great reviews, and all the features you could want in such an important piece of lawn care equipment.
1. Yard Machines 159cc Self-Propelled Mower
This affordable and highly reviewed mower is powered by a 159cc OHV engine, which offers reliable power for small to medium sized yards. Simply turn the unit on and the 8″ wheels will maneuver around your yard as you walk behind to guide it to where you’d like to go. With front wheel drive and one speed, you can rely on this to cut through grass without stopping so you can get your yard done without spending days doing so.
This lawn mower is capable of cutting 21″ in width, which means fewer trips around the yard to get the grass cut as efficiently as possible. This unit also has dual-lever height adjustment and is equipped with side discharge and mulching capabilities. Weighing in at around 70 pounds, this is one of the lighter self propelled mowers that is incredibly easy to navigate and maneuver around your yard.
– Starts with the first pull to help save you time
– Mulching option allows you to get more yard work done with fewer additional tools
– Large gas tank means you don’t have to refill frequently
– Can replace a riding lawn mower without causing you more work
– Comes already setup so there is no assembly required
– Wheels turn smoothly, making navigation on uneven land easy
– Packaging is not the best and can result in missing parts
– Grass must be completely dry before you cut
– Can be difficult to get the guard to stay on while cutting
– Not made with the highest quality parts, which is why it’s available for an affordable price
– Not ideal for large yards with a lot of space
2. Troy-Bilt TB270ES 159cc Self-Propelled Mower
This powerful lawn mower comes equipped with a 159cc OHV engine that starts with just the push of a button. With front wheel drive, this mower will glide seamlessly across your long and cut any length of grass you need to trim. To accommodate your lawn in particular, the cutting heights range from 1.25″ to 3.75″ and there are four different speed settings.
For effortless operation, the wheels in the front are 8 inches and those in the back are a bit bigger at 11 inches. This reliable piece of equipment also allows you to mulch so you can get more lawn work done without having to haul out a lot of bulky equipment. To save you time, this unit also includes an exclusive Tri-Action system, which offers a clean cut with only one pass through.
– A 2-year limited warranty comes with your purchase for peace of mind
– Cutting height can be adjusted with a lever to save you time and give you custom results
– The adjustable handle accommodates users of different heights to ensure comfort
– The engine starts with the push of a button and is powerful enough to cut large lawns
– Designed with a rake bumper that lifts grass to help you get a closer cut
– Accommodates all sizes of yards for flexibility
– Some users report their lawn mowers lock up and stop working soon after purchase
– Push button may not work as easily as it’s supposed to
– Fuses can easily become dislodged and cause problems using the mower
– Must be broken in; using it full force from the start can result in major damage
3. Troy-Bilt TB220 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
This self propelled lawn mower by Troy-Bilt includes a powerful 159cc OHV engine with front wheel drive for easy navigation through small to medium sized yards. The lightweight design makes it easy to take this in and out of storage and maneuver anywhere you need to go, saving you the possibility of aches and pains. No matter how tall you are, this unit has you covered with an adjustable height handle that you can tailor to the height that’s most comfortable to you.
The bottom wheels measure 7″ in the front and 11″ in the back to provide you with better control as you glide across your lawn. The 21″ steel deck is another feature that makes this mower one of the best, as it tackles more surface area so you can cover more space at once. With 3-in-1 mulching capabilities, you can truly use this mower for all of your lawn care needs so you spend less time hauling equipment around.
– Front wheel drive is ideal for smoother navigation along the grass
– 2-year limited warranty that provides you with peace of mind with your purchase
– Comfort grip handle offers more comfort and stability while using the mower
– This model is equipped with a special cutting system that offers a close cut with one pass
– The bag holds a considerable amount of grass and mulch to save you time
– Starter cable is made of plastic and can easily break
– Not designed to cover larger lawns, which may be a problem for 1 acre or more
– Does not come assembled; may take 20-30 minutes to complete assembly
– Many users complain that this unit is loud
4. Lawn-Boy 17734 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
This model by Lawn-Boy is one of the best self propelled lawn mowers because of its sturdy design and reliability. Thanks to an electric start, you will be able to start your mower in just a few seconds without the struggle of a pull cord. The Kohler XTV OHV engine provides steady power that can withstand even long grass that would be difficult for other mowers to tackle.
This lawn mower is even made with commercial grade features to help increase longevity and save you time when it comes to maintenance. To ensure you are left with beautiful results, the Tri-Cut cutting system is equipped with a 21″ steel dome deck that provides a high-quality cut with just one pass. If you have varying levels of grass, you can quickly adjust the height of the deck to accommodate your lawn in particular.
– Starts easily with just a key, which saves you time and the stress of using a pull cord
– User-friendly maintenance that makes ownership easy; no oil changes required
– Backed by a 2-year warranty that’s claimed to be one of the best
– You can choose bagging, side discharge or mulching depending on your needs
– The included bag holds a high volume of clippings so you’re not constantly emptying it out
– Electric start is not reliable and may stop working after a few months
– Lacking customer service that can make claims on warranty difficult to fulfill
– Some parts are made of plastic and break easily as a result
– Many users state that the height and adjustment of the wheels makes mowing very difficult
5. Greenworks 21-inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
Designed to make your life easier with a self-propelled function and no cord, this lawn mower is an excellent choice if you need something that’s simply easy to use. You can choose to purchase a model with or without the battery. The self-propelled drive system glides smoothly and is equipped with a 21″ steel deck that covers more space in just one pass through.
The 3-in-1 deck even allows you to choose between mulching, bagging and side discharge based on the type of yard work you’re doing. When it comes to height, this mower features 7 settings that range from 1 3/8″ all the way to 3 3/4″, so you never have to worry about grass that’s too long or short. Combined with the durable wheels situated on the bottom, this is a mower you can rely on to cut your entire lawn quickly.
– Extra storage compartment on mower for extra battery
– Handle folds down and can be locked to make this easy to transport
– With one single charge you may be able to cut your entire lawn
– Lightweight so you can easily take this out of storage or take on-site
– Doesn’t make a lot of noise when it’s being used, which is excellent for quiet neighborhoods
– Comes fully assembled
– More expensive than other mowers with similar qualities
– Some buyers have had difficulty with batteries holding a full charge
– Not as powerful as other mowers and may not be able to tackle larger yards as a result
– The front cuts lower than the rear because the deck is not parallel to the ground
6. Poulan Pro 961420127 Self Propelled Mower
Made by the reputable brand Poulan Pro, this is a self propelled mower that offers all the capabilities and features one could want in this useful piece of equipment. This begins with a 625ex 150cc Briggs & Stratton engine with autochoke feature, which can make getting started easy. It continues with a 22″ inch deck that comes with a 3-in-1 side discharge, bag, and mulch option for added convenience.
The bottom wheels on this unit are 8″ in the front and 12″ in the back to make gliding along any terrain as smooth as possible. You can also easily adjust the height with 9 different positions to ensure you get the best cut for the length of grass that you’re dealing with. If you’re dealing with bumpy terrain or hills, in particular, then the self propelled feature will help get the job done without the need to exert more physical energy.
– The auto bagging feature allows you to easily collect clippings so they don’t end up on your lawn
– The system can be started with the primer or autochoke
– Designed with front wheel power to make navigation on terrain easy
– Cuts clean so you don’t have to go over the same spot several times
– Starts easily to save you time and frustration
– Limited warranty included for peace of mind
– Good customer service when needed
– Many plastic parts, which can deteriorate quickly
– Can easily be damaged during delivery, which can require a replacement
– Rear wheels can easily crack and become damaged
– Wheels can be difficult to assemble and can bend easily as well
– Requires some assembly, although most users have reported that this is easy
7. Snapper XD Walk-Behind Mower
With a 45-minute run time, you can use this mower to power through both short and medium sized lawns. This is made even easier with the walk-behind feature, which allows you to mow without having to push the mower the entire time. The 21″ steel deck covers maximum space and is both reliable and durable so you can power through without any worries.
As you cut through the grass, the smart sense technology on this mower will adjust power to meet the demands of the cutting blades. And to ensure you get the job done without hassle, this model starts with the push of a button and has seven height adjustments that can accommodate any length of grass.
Although this brand may not be as well-known as others, it offers a lot of power, a reliable engine, and high-quality parts that make it a serious contender for those who want a self propelled option.
– The 82V lithium ion battery is one of the most powerful on the market
– No wires mean you can use this without having to worry about a cord dragging behind you
– Large bag can carry more clippings so you can unload fewer times
– Quick charge battery to help you save time
– Very easy to push, which is ideal for anyone with physical limitations
– Battery life does not perform well for many buyers, which can be a problem when using
– Extra batteries are expensive to purchase
– Does not cut as well as other mowers; you may need to pass through a few times
– Can be difficult to start the machine when the start button isn’t working
With any of the best self propelled lawn mowers listed above, you’ll cut down on the energy it takes to care for your lawn. The only thing left to figure out is which you’ll bring home.